The Healthiest Nordic Recipes to Celebrate Midsummer
It’s the start of summer in Norway, with longer days and beautiful weather. The berries are blossoming in the forests. People everywhere enjoy hiking with family and friends, as the days are suddenly, endlessly long. The midnight sun guides the way. Casual summer days allow for cabin escapes and relaxing hours of fishing.
It’s a delight to visit local Norwegian markets in the summer. Vegetable stalls are piled high with the season’s bountiful harvest. Fishmongers sell fresh fish of the day. Eating is a pleasure and requires very few ingredients to make a delicious meal. Dessert can be as simple as a bowl of early summer strawberries, plump and red.
Enjoy summer with these healthy recipes from Aarja Health!
New Potato Summer Salad
New potatoes are a taste of summer in Norway. The season runs for only two months, from mid-June until mid-August. This recipe for New Potato Summer Salad is a must at any barbecue. While traditionally many people use mayonnaise, this version is a lighter, more healthy variation.
• 1.5 kilos potatoes
• 75 ml white wine vinegar
• 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
• A pinch of salt
• 3 dill pickles, minced
• 2 handfuls of dill, chopped
1. Boil the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and salt.
3. Cut potatoes into 5-centimetre pieces and place in a bowl.
4. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
5. Add pickles and dill. Stir well.
6. Refrigerate to cool for at least two hours.
Fresh Cucumber Salad
This simple salad is made by covering cucumbers with a homemade pickling liquid. Cucumbers hold a lot of water and aid the body in hydration. This is especially beneficial in the summer months.
• 1 medium English cucumber, sliced very thin, skin left on
• 60 ml white wine vinegar
• 60 ml of water
• 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
• 4 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, salt, and sweetener to make a pickling liquid.
2. Allow to cool
3. Place the cucumbers in a shallow bowl.
4. Cover with liquid.
5. Refrigerate, covered for 2 hours.
6. To serve, sprinkle with parsley.
7. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Norwegian Salmon Summer Vegetable Skewers
Salmon is always a healthy source of protein and omega 3. Norwegian salmon is some of the finest in the world.
• 8 small wooden skewers soaked in water before using
• 400 grams Norwegian salmon, thick slices
• 16 small tomatoes
• 1 small zucchini, cut into thick rounds
• 1 red pepper cut into cubes
• Olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Thread the ingredients onto the skewers.
2. Drizzle on a bit of olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Place on a hot grill and cook until the salmon is cooked throughout.